Next-Gen Digital Broadcasting of FIFA World Cup Now a RealityJuly 7, 2014
- The 2014 World Cup is among the world's first sporting events to be filmed and broadcast in ultra HD TV technology. And Sagemcom and Broadcom Corporation can take a lot of credit for that. By leveraging Broadcom's video decoder technology, Sagemcom intends to enable a live broadcast of select 2014 World Cup events in ultra high definition.
MELD Technology Offers Best Seat in the HouseJune 11, 2014
- For anyone who's ever been to a live event, the issue of perspective is an important one. The best seats in the house are often the most expensive, because such seats offer the best perspective on the event. The 50-yard line seats, the center court seats, the front-row seats and the like all command the best perspectives, and therefore the best prices. But with MELD Technology's new line of white space transmitter, the perspective of the best seat in the house can become a lot more accessible to everyday users.
The TWC-L.A. Dodgers Carriage Crisis: History in the Making?May 30, 2014
- Until recently, the two certainties in life were death and taxes. But a closer look at what seemed to be a commonplace dispute between a sports content rights holder and potential distribution partners may have carriage deals added to the saying.
ESPN Considers an OTT Service Anchored Around SoccerMay 28, 2014
- ESPN is mulling an over-the-top (OTT) strategy for offering online access to live Major League Soccer games, as a way to add revenue without alienating its existing model of working solely with pay-TV operators for distribution.
TWC, Bright House Add Support for FOX, FOX Sports TV Everywhere AppsMay 23, 2014
- Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks are adding to their TV Everywhere footprints with a new deal with Fox Broadcasting to allow subscribers access to the FOX NOW, FXNOW, FOX Sports GO and Nat Geo TV apps for digital platforms.
US College Sports Networks Deploy Nevion's IP Gateway TechnologyMay 19, 2014
- Two of the largest college sports networks in the U.S.A. have recently deployed TVG450, a multiple JPEG 2000 gateway solutions from Nevion, to carry broadcast-quality television signals over contribution networks.
TWC & the LA Dodgers: Fan Stress, OTT OpportunityMay 1, 2014
- What happens when a pay-TV provider uses live sports content to build its bottom line, by playing hardball in licensing the must-see TV broadcasts to competing providers? Ask fans of the L.A. Dodgers baseball team who currently must switch to Time Warner Cable's service to see the team's games live.
Pay-TV's Most Strategic Weapon - Regional Sports Networks?February 27, 2014
- Despite ever-rising carriage costs for the most coveted live content, the arguably most powerful weapon in cable, telco and satellite TV providers' customer retention arsenal is the regional sports network (RSN) because it delivers programming to fans that can't get it anywhere else, for now.