AT&T to Bring NBC's 2010 Winter Olympics Coverage to Subscribers' Screens
January 15, 2010
Medal-competing athletes and some of the estimated 1.8 million spectators in the stands, like my wife and I, at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games will be seen by AT&T subscribers on all channels: TV, PCs, and wireless devices. We’ll wave hello from the stands. Promise.
AT&T (News - Alert), a proud sponsor of the U.S. Olympic Team has reportedly struck an agreement with NBC, which has the American coverage rights for services via its wireless, AT&T U-verse TV and broadband. Here are the highlights:
* Around-the-clock and live competition Vancouver Olympic Winter Games coverage, via the NBC Olympics 2Go channel with both AT&T Mobile TV and MobiTV (News - Alert), beginning Feb. 12. AT&T is the only mobile phone carrier that will deliver live video coverage from the Vancouver Games
* Top stories, videos, polls and photos through AT&T mobile Web browsers and through the NBC Olympics Mobile Web site
* Complete broadcast coverage on the networks of NBC Universal (News - Alert). NBC Olympics on-demand content includes a wrap-up of the best events of the day as well as on-demand access to 5 unique events and 15 highlight segments each day. Additional on-demand content will include Vancouver previews and more
* Separate from the agreement with NBC Universal, U-verse TV customers will have access to Team USA On Demand videos — several of which are exclusive and produced for AT&T — and will include interviews and features of U.S. Olympic Team athletes as they train for and compete in various sports
* Online access to Vancouver Olympic Winter Games content at NBCOlympics.com for U-verse TV customers.
* Downloadable interactive widgets from NBCOlympics.com that allow consumers to view the latest news, photos and videos; track medals for the top five countries in medal counts; view a programming schedule of Vancouver Olympic Winter Games events; and help them find their local broadcast station covering the Games by entering their zip code online
* Separate from the agreement with NBC Universal, fans can enjoy access to Team USA On Demand videos, interviews and features of U.S. Olympic Team athletes on att.net/TeamUSA
“The Olympic Winter Games is always a must-see event that draws in people to watch the world's best athletes and most prestigious competitions, and AT&T offers the only way to see NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games live on all three screens,” Dan York (News - Alert), executive vice president of content and programming, AT&T converged services, said. “We're proud to deliver around-the-clock Games content to more consumers in more places.”
“NBCU's coverage of the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games provides viewers with a unique multiscreen opportunity to watch the competitive action from Vancouver,” Henry Ahn, executive vice president, TV networks distribution, NBC Universal, said. “We're thrilled to partner with AT&T to deliver the Games to millions of fans across all screens and platforms.”
Brendan B. Read is TMCnet’s Senior Contributing Editor. To read more of Brendan’s articles, please visit his columnist page.
Edited by Amy Tierney