NFL Implements RFID Chips for Better Statistical RepresentationNovember 3, 2014
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips have long been used in the commerce sector when companies want to track all kinds of different statistics that have to do with their products. Now the RFID chip is setting foot in the sports arena in a very big way thanks to a partnership between the NFL and Zebra Technologies. This partnership was first forged a couple of years ago but it has gone into full force this season with RFID chips embedded on the bodies of every player and referee.
Wheelings & Dealings: Strava Raises $18.5 Million in VC Funding as Fitness Industry Set for Rapid GrowthOctober 31, 2014
- According to Re/code, Strava has just raised $18.5 million in venture capital funding. The funds are to help the company become more of a factor internationally and lead the way as a social medium for endurance athletes. It also comes at a time when wearable fitness is expected to grow rapidly over the next few years.
Huawei Signs Agreement with Washington RedskinsOctober 29, 2014
- Huawei, a global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, recently announced that the company is now a multi-year team sponsor and "Official Technology Partner" for the Washington Redskins.
ZTE Expands Presence in US with More NBA PartnershipsOctober 29, 2014
- Smartphone manufacturer ZTE began its sponsorship with the Houston Rockets in October last year. Now, a little more than a year later, it has announced its official sponsorship with two more professional basketball teams - the New York Knicks and the Golden State Warriors.
Seattle Mariners Deploy Solar Panels at the Team's Arizona Training FacilityOctober 20, 2014
- One of the sunniest places in the United States is Arizona, and many of its cities claim more than 300 days of sunshine per year. While Phoenix averages 330 days, Scottsdale boasts an impressive 350 days, which makes it the ideal location for baseball teams to practice during their off-season. The Seattle Mariners make the trek every year to the team's Spring Training facility in Peoria, AZ. to avoid the notorious rains of the Northwest. The team also brought its environmental awareness from Seattle to its stadium in Peoria by installing a solar rooftop and carport system in partnership with Healthy Planet Partners (HPP), Kyocera Solar and Sky Engineering.
Despite Myriad Sports Streaming Services, Bundling Will Re-emergeOctober 20, 2014
- The National Basketball Association and ESPN are planning a new online video service that would stream regular season games, apparently on an over-the-top basis, without requiring purchase of a linear video subscription.