Qualcomm Oversees iBeacon Rollout in MLB BallparksMarch 7, 2014
- Qualcomm's Retail Solutions subsidiary has been selected by MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) to act as the interactive media and Internet company for Major League Baseball. In particular, Qualcomm will supply iBeacon hardware to help ensure the completion of the MLBAM's initial rollout of the technology in 20 ballparks in time for Opening Day of the upcoming 2014 MLB season.
SITA Working with Brazil to Improve Air Traffic Technology for World Cup and OlympicsMarch 7, 2014
- This project which began in December of 2013, is expected to be completed in time for the 2016 Olympic Games by installing the devices in increments of four airports until they are all equipped with this technology. Using datalink, pilots are able to communicate with the control tower using text messaging to request departure clearance and real-time airport operational and weather information. By reducing the load on VHF voice frequency, DCL and DATIS increase the safety and efficiency of runway operations.
AeroTrainer Brings a Robotic Eye in the Sky to Sports TrainingMarch 6, 2014
- In life, so many major advancements are made just from looking at a problem from a different perspective. A new angle, philosophically speaking, on a problem can spot new issues, and new solutions as well. But in the cases of the AeroTrainer robot, the philosophical becomes literal, and a robotic quadricopter drone provides a new look at old problems.
Brazil isn't 'Mobile Ready' for the FIFA World CupMarch 3, 2014
- With the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics behind us, it's time to look forward to the next major international sporting event: the 2014 World Cup, which is being hosted in Brazil. Aside from the obvious differences between the two, however, it seems that the World Cup will differ from the Olympics on a key technological front, according to a new report from Infonetics Research.
New Mexico Horse Racetrack Partners with Replay App DeveloperFebruary 28, 2014
- The Downs Racetrack at Albuquerque (Downs) announced on Wednesday that it had entered into an agreement with Horse Races Now, LLC (HRN) to provide race video for its Horse Races Now app. Users will be able to view races from the Downs using the app when racing resumes at the facility in August.
Pay-TV's Most Strategic Weapon - Regional Sports Networks?February 27, 2014
- Despite ever-rising carriage costs for the most coveted live content, the arguably most powerful weapon in cable, telco and satellite TV providers' customer retention arsenal is the regional sports network (RSN) because it delivers programming to fans that can't get it anywhere else, for now.